The primary document of the church with regards to an orthodox, biblical understanding of the Trinity is the Athanasian Creed. Feel free to look it up online (https://www.crcna.org/welcome/beliefs/creeds/athanasian-creed) and remember, when you see the word “catholic” used here, it’s in its ancient, original meaning of “unified”—not a reference to the Roman Catholic Church).
However, my suggestion would be to watch this funny little video clip put out by Lutheran Satire which interacts with St. Patrick (when you see it you will understand what I mean) and has an abbreviated statement from the Creed: https://lutheransatire.org/media/st-patricks-bad-analogies/
The Trinity is a mystery. Yet it’s a truth in the Scriptures that we must accept and stand on. Why does this matter? Because it is Who God is, and Who He announces Himself to be in John 1.
At Christmas we discussed that Emmanuel means, “God with us.” Jesus came to the earth as a human being to live a human life. He felt our pain, hunger, cold and hot. He felt the sorrow of a hard, physically demanding life with sickness and death in it. He was not immune to the world we live in. But, as we discussed today, He came to give us life and that life more abundantly. In Christ we can thrive rather than just survive.
So, we began John 1 with the declarative emphasis on Jesus (the Word) being God, coming into the world as the Light, and breaking through the spiritual darkness.
- Do you remember when you were saved and how the Bible, for the first time ever, began to really make sense? ________________________________________________________
- As you read the Word even now, do you come across spiritual truths that you never saw before, that God has opened your eyes to?_________________________________________________
- This is because the spiritual darkness has been removed, and your eyes have been opened to the truth of God’s light.
Now, men love darkness because their deeds are evil. As a friend of mine once stated in his sermon on this passage, it’s because we (in our unsaved state) hate God. That’s the true scope of the lost state of humanity. No one seeks after God at any time (Romans 3:11), nor does anyone want the God of the Bible.
- Have you witnessed to a person before and had a rejection of the truth of God’s Word? ____________________________________________
- Did you discuss things that are clear as day to you but that the person you were witnessing to just didn’t process or get? ___________________________________________________
- Spiritual blindness can only be overcome by one thing, and that is the power of the Holy Spirit to open a person’s eyes to the truth of the Gospel. Pray for those you interact with daily, and for those on your BlessEveryHome.com e-mail list, that God’s Spirit would open their eyes to the truth, would convict them of sin, and would change their will from rejecting God to accepting Him.
- Lastly, how does the fact that a Triune God Who decided to place His love on you, an underserving wretched sinner, change your focus in life? ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
- Do you have immense gratitude? ___________________________________________________
- Do you feel a debt to Him that you must serve Him with more zeal and vigor? _______________________________________
- Keep in mind the biblical picture of slavery and how you and I were on the auction block. We were slaves to sin, yet Jesus came and redeemed us and made us His own. He did it for the Father’s glory. The Holy Spirit seals us unto the day of redemption and guarantees our salvation. We owe our whole beings to Him: body, soul, and spirit!