We’ve been discussing the amazing love and grace of God this week in sending His Son to earth to live and die for us. Being Thankful Thursday, let us focus on some of the great aspects of undeserved grace that we have been allowed to partake in, and let us thank Him today!
- John 1:12-13 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.
Every image of the Christian presented in the New Testament is that of a helpless recipient of God’s grace, who had no power in and of himself to even choose God (especially in light of our sinful nature which so blinds us). We are dumb sheep and powerless slaves. The bride is chosen by the groom, and babies are born without choice. Orphans don’t choose their adoptive parents, and kings and priests are appointed from above. We are graced beyond all measure, and lest we take the pride of salvation upon ourselves, Paul writes:
- not as a result of works, so that no one may boast—Ephesians 2:9
Edwin Blum (former professor at Dallas Theological Seminary, and general editor of the Holman Christian Standard Bible), points out here that:
- “The new birth does not come by natural descent (lit., ‘of bloods’), nor is it the result of a human decision (lit. ‘the will of the flesh,’ i.e., the natural human desire for children), nor is it the result of a husband’s will. The birth of a child of God is not a natural birth; it is a supernatural work of God in regeneration. A person welcomes Jesus and responds in faith and obedience to Him, but the mysterious work of the Holy Spirit is ‘the cause” of regeneration.”
How can we recall so great a salvation and not be thankful for our undeservedness? How can we go through life and not reflect on His grace and mercy for us, especially in light of what our sin did to Him on the cross?
We Praise Thee, O God! For the Son of Thy Love(AKA Revive us Again, AKA Hallelujah! Thine the Glory) Hymn by W.P. Mackay
1We praise thee, O God, for the Son of thy love,
For Jesus who died and is now gone above.
Hallelujah, thine the glory!
Hallelujah, thine the glory!
Revive us again.
2We praise thee, O God, for thy Spirit of light,
Who has shown us our Savior and scattered our night.
3All glory and praise to the Lamb that was slain,
Who has borne all our sins and has cleansed ev’ry stain.
4Revive us again – fill each heart with thy love;
May each soul be rekindled with fire from above.
- Pray now with Seth & Bessie Sykes’ hymn:
- “Thank you, Lord for saving my soul”
- “Thank you, Lord for making me whole”
- “Thank you, Lord for giving to me, Thy great salvation so rich and free”
- Write out a prayer of thanks to God for shining His glorious light into your life: ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
- What are some of the ways you can thank Him now for making you His child? _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
- Thank God now for anything else He is bringing to your mind now: ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________