While I don’t believe in manmadeglobal warming/climate change, I do believe that there is such a thing as global warming, and the Bible talks about it!
- Peter 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up.
This is what would be called “Godmade Global Warming”, and it’s coming to an earth near you!
Now God promised Noah and all mankind that He would never again judge the earth with a worldwide flood; He would never wipe out all people and all animals again. Yet, He has declared that He will judge the wicked earth again someday, and when He does, He plans on thoroughly wiping out the curse of sin in the universe by fire. Isaiah 34:4 talks about this. This event is known as the Day of the Lord.
John MacArthur offers the following chart:
NINETEEN EXPLICIT MENTIONS OF “DAY OF THE LORD” IN THE OLD TESTAMENT
- Obad. 15
- Joel 1:15
- Joel 2:1
- Joel 2:11
- Joel 2:31
- Joel 3:14
- Amos 5:18
- Amos 5:18
- Amos 5:20
- Is. 2:12
- Is. 13:6
- Is. 13:9
- Zeph. 1:7
- Zeph. 1:14
- Zeph. 1:14
- Ezek. 13:5
- Ezek. 30:3
- Zech. 14:1
- Mal. 4:5
FOUR EXPLICIT MENTIONS OF “DAY OF THE LORD” IN THE NEW TESTAMENT
- Acts 2:20
- 1 Thess. 5:2
- 2 Thess. 2:2
- 2 Pet. 3:10
The MacArthur Study Bible, by John MacArthur (Nashville: Word Publishing, 1997) 1270. © 1993 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.
- Read each of these verses above and notate some insights that you see in these descriptions of the Day of the Lord: ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
- A high view of God is contrasted by a low view of man. But, the silly, man-oriented, lighthearted, life coaching model of many preachers and churches today is running rampant and never brings the hearers to the gravity of eternal damnation. It never confronts sin, judgment, perseverance of the saints, or holiness. It loudly proclaims that God is love but never proclaims that He is sovereign Lord, Judge, holy, angry, to be feared, to be respected, hateful of wickedness, and wrathful.
- If you were to die today, do you have full assurance of your salvation? Full assurance that you have come to the cross in repentance, proclaiming Jesus as Lord and Savior, and begging for His saving mercy? Do you know for sure if you were to die today that you would spend eternity with the Lord? _______________________________________
- Do you realize that there has been no other time in history exceptthe church age wherein God has commissioned His followers to go forth into all the earth and spread the Good News of God’s salvation? That means for thousands of years billions of people have not had what the world has today: evangelism? ________________________________________
- With the clock ticking down, and with no idea when the Day of the Lord will arrive, what are some things that you and I need to be doing as Great Commission followers of Jesus? _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
- Did you know that all Christians, male and female, are to be preachers? There are a few different Greek words for preaching, but the particular job of proclaiming (preaching) the Gospel is your job and mine.
- Acts 8:3-4 But Saul began ravaging the church, entering house after house, and dragging off men and women, he would put them in prison. Therefore, those who had been scattered went about preaching the word.
- What genders is the church made up of? ___________________________________________________
- Thus, what genders were scattered around and went about spreading the Gospel? ___________________________________________________
- Hence, what excuse do you have for not spreading the Gospel yourself? ___________________________________________________
- The Bible is multi-faceted as it is provides the good, the bad, and the ugly of life. It shows sin, and it shows blessing. It shows judgment, but it also shows eternal grace and mercy on God’s elect. But, if God is the central focus of the Bible, you and I do not have the right to pick and choose which parts we wish to believe, obey, and accept.
- What attributes of God do you find hard to understand, maybe even accept? ______________________________________________________________________________________________________
- About how often have you read or heard preachers/teachers discuss God’s final judgment on earth? __________________%.
- Unless you are seeking out studies on Eschatology (End Times Prophecy), I am guessing that’s a low percent, yet God’s final judgment is discussed repeatedly in the Bible (including the Book of Revelation). Why do you think this topic is so often ignored or downplayed in Christian circles? ______________________________________________________________________________________________________
- Lastly, pray that God will use you mightily while you are here on earth to spread His glorious Gospel. Judgment is coming, and we need to be seriously concerned about the lost state of our community, state, country, and world (Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and the uttermost parts of the world—Acts 1:8).